Monday, October 8, 2018

A visit to Asheville and then home to Lake Norman! Sept 30-October 3

Driving the last leg from Georgia to Asheville found me antsy and a bit anxious.  Being so close took the joy away from seeing anything.  I was just plain homesick.  But, we had one more stop to make, our old home of 18 years, Asheville NC.

We stayed incognito at an RV Park in Fletcher the first night. Who knew Fletcher even had an RV Park?  We didn't.  Good friends, Bob and Linda, came to pick us up to go to dinner.  We didn't miss a beat and were laughing and rolling our eyes at each other over dinner in no time. Glen and Bob are way too much alike and cannot be trusted out of eye sight.  Tonight the only trouble they got into was insisting on an ice cream stop after a meal that left Linda and I stuffed.  But they enjoyed it till the last melted drop.

The next day I got to join my old Bible Study for their regular Monday morning meeting.  Wow, did I miss getting together with these sisters in Christ of mine. Being there made me realize just how much I was going to continue to miss them. 

Monday and Tuesday brought a golf game for Glen with long time friend, Gary and two nights at  Gayle and Roger's bed and breakfast.  It is a great place to stay if you can snag a reservation. It even came with a free rental car. haha! Thank you Hanleys! I managed to also squeeze in lunch with a couple of Bible Study ladies, lunch with a friend also named Debbie, from our church and morning coffee with another friend from the old neighborhood, Donna. 

On Wednesday before we left for our new home I joined the Walnut Cove Ladies Golf Association for their end of year luncheon.  It has been 13 years since the WCLGA was formed (by 6 ladies including me) and they were celebrating reaching a membership of more than ninety women this year. It was wonderful to see so many friends and remember our humble beginnings.

Seeing all these dear friends made me forget about my homesickness for a couple of days and also thankful for the time we had together.  "Make new friends and keep the old, one is silver and the other gold".

The last 100 miles to Lake Norman went by quickly and we were greeted on the sidewalk by some pretty cute and cuddly Grandchildren! What a way to end our Fantastic Summer Voyage of 11, 330 miles. Unbelievable!

I would do it again but not for three months and three days. (but who was counting? ME) I think a month would be good.  Glen could spend the rest of his days in an RV and be happy I think.

Both of us very much enjoyed our time on the road. It was a true adventure.  It drew us closer together, (right after it threatened to tear us apart haha).  My favorites were Niagara Falls, Canada, The Badlands, Sonoma and, no lie, every visit we had with friends and family.  Each one was a gift and touched our hearts mightily.  I know Glen loved the freedom of being on the road, campfires, all the adventures we had and those same visits.

Our next adventure is living with our middle daughter and son-in-law, Melissa and Joey, while looking for a home to buy. Oh yeah, and seeing all those grandchildren on a much more regular basis!!

Thank you for following us this summer and sharing our adventure, we loved reading your comments.

Our last stop

A teary eyed home coming!

Only one more state to drive through.

This is where our new home will be.

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure!!
    And now, Welcome Home!!
    Enjoy those grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete